Wednesday, December 6, 2006

The Countdown Begins...

Hey guys. Hey.

I have a blog. I know, it's weird, right? Because the internet, I have always asserted, is not real. Therein lies the beauty!

Well, a month from now, I will be perched on a blue polyester Economy-class seat, with one carry-on and two checked bags, hurtling over the ocean with no idea where I'm going to sleep that night or who may try to grab my ass while navigating public transportation.

I've seen zombie movies begin with less foreboding.

So I thought I might want to share some of my (inevitable, mis)adventures with some of my closest friends and the entire world who was stupid enough to google "grab ass."

Admission to this delightful handbasket to hell is this:
Friends: Say hi to me once in a while. (CAITLIN.)
Friends who have friends in London: Give me thier names and some way to contact them. Give them my name so that they know I'm coming and don't think I'm just after some foreign ass.
Strangers: Don't even let me know you're here, it's weird.

So:

Today was the "Women's Pre-Departure Informational Meeting" which was full of lovely tips and advice and free condoms, and was the last official word I shall get from this university as to what I am supposed to be doing while misplaced. Ass grabbing was a big topic of conversation. Everytime a member of the audience veered off into language barriers or clothing choices, the moderator got us right back to the important issues related to grabbing.

Did you go to third grade? Remember those uncomfortable talks the school nurse would come in to give, using ten dollar words like 'special places' and 'white van' with 'tinted windows?' Leaving half the class bewildered and the other half thinking about Uncle Billy a little differently? This felt a liiiittle like that.

But given the topic, I don't know how they resisted calling it Broads Abroad or something. Maybe I should suggest it for next year?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Corinne, hi. Can I post a comment without having a blog myself? Let's hope so.

Anonymous said...

That was Katie.

Katie said...

I did this.

Anonymous said...

corinne. this was loveable and caused me to laugh aloud in a French computer lab. This is about as awkward as you would imagine. The other thing about me NOT saying hi to you is that apparently i wasn't clear about the internet situation here. I have basically none. Like 5 computers shared betwixt 30 students. I've severely limited here...still i apologize.

Anonymous said...

Oh corinne. The sandwich boy that looks like the greek god apollo is moving to London...I'm probably going to visit you everyday.

I have to reflect to find out if i know anyone else in london. what day do you get there? I could literally come visit whenever you want. You will be the New York to my Camden.

Anonymous said...

Corinne, My friend Claire from Quebec will be in London when you will. Also, I will ask Doug for directions to the roller disco. I am going to call the program Broad's Abroad even if no one else does.

Man. Sometimes our friends do stuff. That's awesome.

Oh, I'm not talking about London. I mean creating a blog.

yoel said...

I can't believe you left me hanging without the most important info, to wit, what am I supposed to do when somebody grabs my ass on public transportation? Seriously, I NEED TO KNOW.