Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Dirty Jerz

Every time I come back to New Jersey from Ithaca, my days take on a certain pattern:

1. I start eating all day. Not because I'm hungry, but because I have goals... things like finishing 3 bananas before they go bad, or having the last pita/english muffin/yogurt because it is the last one (it's lonely?). Dreaming big, I have set out to finish the cheerios before christmas.

I am thus faced with the strange gastronomic choices my family makes. Here is a list of things in the fridge:
--A tupperware container filled with approximately 20 pickles, quartered lengthwise and less than cripsy
--Many cheeses: Parmesan (grated), parmesan (shredded), gruyere, monteray jack, cheddar (block) and cheddar (fancy shredded), cream cheese, cracker barrel sharp cheddar, cracker barrel baby swiss, spreadable (light, because we are concerned about fat) cheese wedges in garlic & herb and original flavors, colby jack, feta crumbles. THIS IS OUT OF CONTROL.
--a tin of lump crab
--a can of pinapples, opened, covered with tin foil as if still half-full. And yet, when I lift the tin foil to investigate, it is empty. I return it to the fridge.
--a tupperware shaker filled with an unidentifiable tan powder...too fine to be sugar or salt, wrong color to be flour, too scared to taste it, I'm hoping it's heroin. Would explain some things.
--in the freezer: a plastic baggie full of wool. Now, my mom does crafty project things and I suspect this has something to do with dyeing or treating the wool for something, but still.

2. I sleep a lot. This is to be expected, since I am exhausted from exams and moving and driving and so on, but it's part of the reentry pattern, so I mention it. I like to blame it in the difference of atmospheric pressure between ithaca and sea level making my blood oxygenated more than usual, but that's totally fabricated.

3. All of my will and sense of efficacy goes away. It's been 2 days and I still haven't unpacked my car. Every afternoon I wake up with plans, and somehow they unravel by 8 pm.

Tomorrow I will go presents shopping, though, since I have lists for that! (JERSEY MALLS!!!)


***

If you were wondering, I will be leaving on the evening of january 5th, arriving the morning of the 6th, and staying until the 12th of June.

They tell you to make copies of your passport in case it gets lost or stolen, so I did that. I'm kind of in love with my passport photo, since it's so very vague. If mine does get stolen, the future recipient has hit the photo jackpot: I look like any woman with brownish/blondish hair of caucasian/hispanic/southeast asian descent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I started drooling during the list of cheeses :)

cjb said...

and served in the empty can of pineapples!

Anonymous said...

Corinne, I forgot the password to the blog I made. Your post made me hungry.

Rachael said...

merry belated christmas, corinne!

i read this particular blog aloud to my mom yesterday.

...then i went and checked the cheese collection in my fridge. though not as impressive as your list, i found buffalo mozzarella, crumbled parmesan (somewhere between finely grated and shredded, i guess), cheddar, sharp cheddar, blocked american, and spreadable (original swiss)... also, by some twist of fate, there was a very large package of unopened lump crab in the cheese drawer.

(saying "lump crab" out loud makes me laugh pretty hard. then again, it's three am and i've been drinking.)