Thursday, April 26, 2007

Work

So, I am about to embark upon my first exam in the british system. And I have a complaint.

Classes ended March 23.

Then, a month passed.

Next week, exams begin. And they continue until the beginning of July. I have about a week to study for each exam and one to write a paper.

How is it possible that people can complain about not having had enough time to revise? You had Six Weeks! I was traipsing around europe, so I'm screwed, but you live here--you can traipse any old weekend you want! There's a tone of voice that goes with this whingeing, and it makes my skin crawl. It is actually like nails on a chalkboard.

I'm used to having five days, and one of them is after slope day, i.e., recovery day.

Part of me feels like a marine, someone's one-eyed grandpa sitting at the table at the family party, all 'Yeah, I was in the shit...five exams and a paper in six days, and I had to move out before the paper was due. You pansies wouldn't last one minute out there...' and making your friends uncomfortable, because he's blocking the dip and talking about charlie.

But in six weeks I could memorize the class. In six weeks I could teach the class. In six weeks I could cure cancer. I could solve a rubik's cube.

I know that in reality I'd spend the first five weeks drinking, watching tv, playing with my hair, and panic as usual during the last one. But still, at least CU knows that's how it is and gets it over with quickly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope the whining all comes from newcastle. I met brits today. WE must SHARE WORDS!!!

Alice said...

Corinne, my sister is going to Ithaca next year. Please try to keep her away from anything that is too horribly bad. Like all boys, all alcohol, most drugs, and all classes.

cjb said...

Oh alice. She's not even here yet, and I call uncle.

Alice said...

Corinne. I love that you just called uncle. I'd never heard that term before, and then the director of the show I was in put it into a transition. So to me, it's like you were there, watching.