Sunday, February 4, 2007

February

We're into february, I'm sitting here, thinking to myself.

I may or may not have done the first-of-the-month rabbit-rabbit thing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't ask. It will haunt you like breathing in graveyards and putting your hand on your head in tunnels. A first-of-the-month ritual to make you feel bad if you acknowledge someone with a 'morning' before doing 'rabbit rabbit' later on in the street when you remember. Did I say 'morning' or just think it? Really--it doesn't matter. Really.

Groundhog Day was a movie. It seems to be about the passage of time, and trying to get things right. Bill Murray does it by living the same day over and over. I would contrast this to how I shop for shoes.

--First I have to look at every shoe in the store, not trying on or even touching any.
--Then I try some on, infuriating the sales person by repeated trips for another size or color or style.
--Then I leave without buying anything and look at everything the store has online.
--A few weeks later, I buy something which is now on sale and non-returnable.
--And get buyer's remorse upon leaving the store, seeing something in the window which I love.

I've lived about eight different lives in the past 6 months, as opposed to Bill murray re-living the same day for 6 months. That is as far as I'm taking this. Happy groundhog day! I know today's the fourth!

3 comments:

cjb said...

It's the fourth my time. It's like 1 in the morning.

Anonymous said...

February first this month was one of the few times in the past several years that I've remembered the first-morning ritual. Except I say "rabbit rabbit rabbit." As a child, I used to sleep with all of my rabbit stuffed animals on the last night of every month so that I would wake up on the first morning and remember to say it. Even then I would forget sometimes.

rich said...

This fascinates me because I never in my entire life met anyone that knew what I was talking about with the "rabbit-rabbit" thing.

I first learned about it on some random PSA-type thing Nick Jr would run (but the PSA's would be about dumb stuff, like saying "rabbit rabbit" first thing in the morning on the 1st for good luck all month), and learning of this little ritual pleased me as I was at this point a teenager and wildly obsessive complusive.

Though older and wiser these days, "rabbit rabbit" is the one thing I still do, twelve-ish years later.