Sunday, February 4, 2007

Portobello Road

I'm skipping Camden and Giraffes for now because I need to have pictures to show you and I have no pictures! So, Portobello Road instead.

Actually, let me start by saying I had a good week. Something happened every day. Free movie and chocolate? Tuesday. Fish and chips? Wednesday, with Jana and the Syra-crew. Thursday, Patrick Stewart as Antony sweat on me because I was sitting in the front row at Antony and Cleopatra.

Two things about that: One, don't let the ticket lady bully you into sitting in the front row. Two, Professor X works out. Oh, and the royal shakespeare company really knows how to put on a play. Also, I REALLY want to see Equus (with Harry Potter's Daniel Radcliffe) when it comes out, and I am in just the right part of the world to do that. Friday I was sick, so that was a thing, and Saturday I continued to be sick but also made it to Portobello road.

It's basically a street market specializing, at one end, in silver and antiques and jewelry. Magnifying glasses were many. Pocketwatches abound. I'm sure you could find yourself a pipe, and then your sherlock holmes costume would be complete. It was all very shiny. There are stretches of houses all painted in sherbet colors, which seems very out of place in london. But it's cute. Also, sherbet or sherbert? I say it 'sherbert' but I think that's wrong.

The other end of the market, at least as far as we walked, was food. It's a very long road. Along with the oranges and potatoes and regular things, you also get not-so-common items like passionfruit. And a cheese stand and an olive stand and a paella stand which was doing some very brisk business.

On my way home I stopped by the library because I'm sick and thus not drinking, so might as well catch up on my contemporary american literature. I (finally) read franny and zooey and just finished Naked Lunch. I am not sure how I feel about either of these.

Also, the fun continues tonight. I'm going to see ricky gervais do a thing.

Remember mo rocca?

Well, for one reason or another, I liked the american office more.

I'll let you know how it goes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Portobello Road was one of my favorite parts of London, I have many pictures of it.

Go see Equus. I've always wanted to see it, so I have to do so vicariously through you.

Odd coincidence, in seventh grade when I went to London with my family, we saw Antony and Cleopatra. No Pat Stewart, though.

Katie said...

I am disappointed that though this blog entry was entitled "Portobello Road," it contained no references to or lyrics from the "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" song of the same title.

I like the american one better too. Do you watch "Extras" with Ricky Gervais, though? It's pretty great.

ryan said...

portobello road and patrick stewart. killer combo.

cjb said...

katie, I had never heard of this song, and I have never seen that movie. I remember seeing previews of it (with angela lansbury, or similar?)from my childhood VHS copy of Peter Pan, but that's the only reason I know such a thing exists.

Also, patrick stewart wore a wig in A&C. (!)

Katie said...

Ryan Shanley knows what's up. Watch that video. It's the street where the riches of ages are stowed.

(My boyfriend used to work at Disney and thus has about 8 volumes of "Classic Disney" music. I don't want to tell you how many times we've listented to "Portobello Road.")

Katie said...

Oh my god, there are whores in that video! Whores!

Alice said...

I thought it was the street where the riches of ages are *sold?

Because I'm just a dork and own like eight volumes of classic disney...

ryan said...

from what i've heard, angela lansbury practically gives it away...

Katie said...

The video provides handy subtitles, which is how I know I'm right.