Sunday, February 11, 2007

Someone Beat Us To It

Shit, Fair Haven ladies:




Remember Troy? Remember Boston? Remember Dancing Jesus of Middletown, NJ? The quaker graveyard across the street from the episcopalian graveyard next door to the methodist graveyard on that stretch of 35 after the grove but before the mall? I'm forgetting some. But Ithaca ones: the 'natural graveyard' by Arnot woods, the deer-infested graveyard of Maple Ave, the creepy graveyard I walked past after getting lost on the bus...and haven't seen since.


Although considering these are just canadian graveyards, maybe we could do a U.S. version?


***


There's a candy bar called a 'Yorkie' and it's labelled 'NOT FOR GIRLS' with a red bar-in-circle symbol (like a no smoking sign, except with a standard restroom-style dress-wearing lady-silhouette on the inside). See below.


I'm on a quest to eat all the candy, everywhere, and I like a challenge, so on my way to class yesterday I decided it was time to try the Yorkie.


At the check out, the nice Jamaican man started handing me my change, but did a double-take.


'Did you see this?!?' He asked, pointing to the NOT FOR GIRLS.


He starts giggling. He has a crazy man-giggle.


'I cannot complete this transaction!' He says. Giggling.


'It's ok, I'm not very ladylike,' I say. And then I take my candy and run.


Epilogue: It's just a bar of solid chocolate. Not worth the effort, really.




3 comments:

ryan said...

be careful rinnie, misogynistic chocolate bars are a gateway drug. sure, a little yorkie now and then might seem harmless, but before you know it you've got a trunk full of crack and hypodermic needles, still insisting you can quit anytime you want.

...it's a slippery slope

Katie said...

Oh! Please let us blog our grave-hopping misadventures. That one in Boston was outstanding.

(I recently told my boss about that particular road trip. The words "Wizarding Tour of Boston Area" just don't have the professionalism you would want them to have.)

When I was 8, my aunt and uncle visited England and brought us back a whole assortment of British chocolates. I remember feeling the same disappointment in Yorkie.
And then my aunt died.

Alice said...

This post made me giggle a lot. Also, try a Flake. They're wonderful. Also, if that site is just Canada, we can still rock the US graveyards. Hell, I grew up next door to one, I think that gives us some right.